The National Institutes of Health Judo Club offers Kodokan judo to people of all ages from 13 and older at all skill levels. Our focus is on judo as an Olympic sport for fitness and recreation. We emphasize classical training in falling, throwing, matwork, chokes and armlocks, as well as kata. Our members are encouraged to compete in local, regional, and national Kata and Shiai competitions.
|Tuesday & Thursday evening, 6:30 – 8 pmSaturday morning, 9 – 10:30am (advanced only)|
|Building 31C, B4 level, adjacent to the Fitness Center on the NIH campus in Bethesda, Maryland|
From Rockville, MD and points north
– Coming south on Route 270, bear left toward Washington when the road splits going to MD or VA (becomes Beltway 495).
– Take the Old Georgetown Rd. exit south toward Bethesda.
– Left on Cedar Lane
– Right on Rockville Pike
– Right into the NIH campus at NIH Gateway Drive (the first entrance past South Drive and the Metro stop). *After going through Security (you will need a picture ID), you will come out on Center Drive. Turn right onto Center Drive and follow it, it will first turn to the right and then later (past South Drive and Wilson Drive) to the left. As it turns left you will see a large white building with black windows on your right – Building 31. There is a parking lot across the street. It’s a paid lot, but if you tell the attendant you’re leaving after 7, you can park free.
– Go in the main entrance of Bldg. 31; **go down the long hall to your right till it dead-ends. Go down the next hall to your right to the end where you’ll see a bank of 4 elevators on your left. Go down to the B4 level and follow the Fitness Center signs.
From Silver Spring and points east, and Virginia and points west
– Take the Beltway, Route 495, to the Connecticut Ave exit, exit toward Kensington (north).
– Left at the first light on Beach Drive.
– Left on Cedar Lane
– Left on Rockville Pike
– Right into the NIH Campus on NIH Gateway Dr. Follow directions above *
From the Medical Center Metro (Red Line)
– come up out of the escalator, after going through Security (you will need a picture ID) continue into the NIH campus on South Drive.
– Bear right at the first intersection onto Center Dr. As Center Drive turns to the left (just past Wilson Dr.) you will see a large white building with black windows on your right – Bldg. 31. Go in the front door and follow the directions above **
Judo sites on the web:
– Shufu home page – http://www.shufujudo.com/
– USA Judo home page – http://www.usjudo.org/
– USJF home page – http://www.usjf.com/
Contact: Taffy Turner, firstname.lastname@example.org